Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spam Tagging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jo Jo View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo Jo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spam Tagging
    Posted: 02 April 2003 at 12:00am

Have you ever thought about "tagging" spam and still delivering it. It would be nice to be able to put a tag like [**** THIS IS SPAM ****] in the subject line. Using this you could build spam rules on the client and also help you build your whitelists/blacklists. Don't get me wrong I love quarantine option but it leaves the IT department making decessions about what to deliver and what not to.

Just a thought...

Paul View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2003 at 12:00am

An option to completely delete spam from certain Blacklisted FROM:, TO:, and DOMAIN lists would help keep the quarantine list cleaner also. Since the addtition of blocking TO: list, my quarantine list has grown out of control.

For example: Quaratine all of the FROM: and DOMAIN blacklists, but delete all of the TO: entries.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2003 at 12:00am

We may be able to add a option for each blacklist "method" (ex. dns, ip blacklist, domain blacklist, to, from etc) to have emails matching that category either deleted or quarantined. Can't promise anything yet, but we'll try.

Roberto

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2003 at 12:00am

Another great idea. Yes, admins and users could benefit from that. I believe we can add the option to tag the subject within the next couple of builds.

Roberto Franceschetti LogSat Software

Lee View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2003 at 12:00am

Doesn't this sort of defeat the purpose of Spam Filter ? Maybe I am missing the application for this but my goal is to automate as much of the handling of spam as possible. If you tag it and pass it on then haven't you simply deferred the issue to the client workstation ?

The problem with dealing with Spam on the client workstation is this doesn't solve the problem of inapproprate and offensive spam. Also the work load is simply shifted to the user instead of at the server where it belongs.

Just a thought.

Lee

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

There may be applications for this that we're not aware of. Maybe the destination SMTP server is able to look at tags and handle them in a certain way implementing its own quarantine method more efficiently. Or maybe the administrator can implement server-side rules on an Exchange server for example to store tagged emails in a separate Outlook folder. I think as long as there is an option to enable/disable the feature, it won't hurt to have it there.

Roberto F. LogSat Software

Chad View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2004 at 12:01pm

I would like to see the subject line tagging - this is what is holding me back from purchasing.  This function adds visibility to the users and "C level" people that something is being done.  With JUST the header being changed you MUST use outlook as your mail client in order to use (client only) rules, Exchange 2000 will not execute rules that look in the headers.  This means Outlook Web access users cannot creat rules to move/delete spam. 

We take this approach (clients create rules) to avoid someone jumping down our throats because something was deleted that should not have been.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2004 at 12:01am

Chad,

We've updated our internal alpha build to include subject spam tagging. You may find the updated beta executables at http://logsat.com/SpamFilter/pub/temp/SF299.zip. Please note that this beta has other fixes as well, which will require you to manually delete your SpamFilter\corpus directory contents before starting it.

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic