Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SpamFilter "frozen" after power failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rdemeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdemeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SpamFilter "frozen" after power failure
    Posted: 29 October 2007 at 4:54pm

Not sure I can explain this but, here goes.

Friday we had a power failure and after the UPS systems dried up all the servers died.  The entire network was brought back up late in the evening Friday.  But since then we have received NO incoming mail.  I have reset EVERY piece of hardware on the network and it just seems that Port 25 (where SF ISP is sitting) does not respond.

Also, If look at the activity log it cycles through various Loads and Clean up, but I only see internal mail.  Also, if I access the Quarantine Tab, it doesn't ever load.  No error, just sits at the blank page.

I could REALLY use some help getting this figured out.

V.3.0.1.558

Randy
Iwatsu

BTW, you can't email me here, since we get no outside mail.

send email to    rdemeyer @ texas.net  (<remove the spaces)
or call 972 -929 -5219
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2007 at 5:29pm
Randy,

SpamFilter is a very *simple* application. It uses no registry entries, and no DLLs placed in obscure directories. You can literally copy and paste SpamFilter's directory from one server to another and the program will run.

This said, if you can zip and email us your SpamFilter's activity logfile for today at support at logsat dot com we'll take a look.

If you wish to perform some troubleshooting yourself, first ensure that no other application on the server is using port 25. Only one Windows application can use one port at a time, so if the port's taken, SpamFilter won't be able to use it. To check, stop SpamFilter (and ensure you do not have multiple instances of SpamFilter running, check the Task Manager to ensure there are no SpamFilter processes running). Then from an MSDOS prompt type

telnet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 25

where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the IP address SpamFilter should be listening on. If you get a connection, or even just a black screen, then there is "something" using port 25, and you'll need to make sure that this "something" is not running before SpamFilter starts.

Next, start SpamFilter, and issue the same command. You should be receiving SpamFilter's welcome banner, and in the activity windows in SpamFilter you should see your connection attempt. If this does happen, then SpamFilter is working and is receiving connections correctly. If you do not see any other traffic in the activity window in SpamFilter, I'd recommend you check your network infrastructure to ensure SMTP traffic is indeed being routed from the internet to SpamFilter's server, as it would not seem to be the case here.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic