Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Errors from terminal server

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robert Shelton View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Errors from terminal server
    Posted: 31 March 2003 at 12:00am

In my prior posts, I was working on the email server's console. I've just moved to my notebook and fired up terminal server and my firewall remote console so that I could cut over the firewall redirectors. Several things aren't right when I log in via terminal server to access the SpamFilter console:

1. the program is not in the parked icon list, even though it appears to be running. Evidently the other problem that I reported has left SpamFilter running on the system console. I cannot access the running instance because I cannot release the SpamFilter program console that's running on the system console.

2. When I start a new instance of SpamFilter to access the console, I get the cannot bind message. Hopefully this is b/c the other instance already has bound the IP/port, but it would be wise to check running instances before attempting to bind...

3. The version information is completely wrong - I get symbols like v%s on the second instance, where I saw actual version info on the running instance on the system console. Interestingly, I saw a similar problem on the earlier version, but I suspect that it's related to a non-started instance or wrongly started instance. I could not report the version number to you in my first posting about binding problms b/c I saw only symbols, no version numbers. Please check to see that correct version information is displayed when the program fails to bind/start correctly.

Thanks,

Robert Shelton

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2003 at 12:00am

I'm including here the contents of another post.

===============================

Re: ServiceMode program control From: Roberto Franceschetti - LogSat Software Date: 03/24/2003 Time: 07:33:05 AM

Comments When it runs as a service you should see a SpamFilter icon in the tray bar (lower right). Clicking on it will bring up the management GUI.

Pse note the following two issues:

On NT4 only, the icon does not show up when the server is rebooted. It will reappear if the SpamFilter service is stopped and restarted.

The tray icon will not show if remoting in the server with Terminal Services due to the way Windows interacts with our service. It will be visible if remoting in with PCAnywhere, Remote Desktop, VNC and others though.

Roberto Franceschetti LogSat Software

Robert Shelton View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2003 at 12:00am

I have rebooted the server, and did not log in on the console. This time I logged in first by terminal server, so there is no other login that could have the SpamFilter console running. I still see no icon for SpamFilter, and I still get the bind error when I start the program to access the console/settings. Also both previously and this login, I note that there are no statistics displayed on the main screen (above the url that I click for support). Clearly the instance I'm starting is not connecting to the running process. I did verify that W2K thinks that the service is started/ running.

Robert

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2003 at 12:00am

Please note that the standalone program is *not* a GUI control app, it is SpamFilter itself. If you are already running the SpamFilter service, starting the SpamFilter.exe simply tries to open another instance of SpamFilter. It then wont have access to the listening IP since it's already taken by the service, thus the "could not bind" error.

Roberto Franceschetti LogSat Software

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic