Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spam Received date off on only a few a day.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DblEdge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DblEdge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spam Received date off on only a few a day.
    Posted: 07 August 2009 at 9:21am
I hope somebody can solve this one for me, it is driving me NUTS!

I receive a few emails a day that the received date is either in the past or the future while all other mail has the correct time.    All of these are spam by the way.     And yes, all of my DST patches are applied and yes all my regional and time zone settings are correct.  

The annoying issue is that the email header shows the CORRECT date and time that spamfilter has received it.   The common thread is that all messages look like they were relayed and the received date/time that shows up in exchange is the original received date from the relay server NOT my server.   In the example below outlook shows I received this email on July 28th when I really received it on Aug 5th:
Received: from 64.150.181.203 by (LogSat Software SMTP Server); Wed, 5 Aug 2009 19:43:45 -0400 
Received: from DIRECT-PC ([24.131.169.213]) by phase4.biz with MailEnable ESMTP; Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:31:44 -0700

My immediate problem is that my boss thinks she is not receiving her email in a timely fashion...  

Thanks!

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 12:28pm
DblEdge,

Please note that the various "Received:" headers are the only ones that actually record the time in which an email is received/processed.

The date value that is instead presented to the user by their email clients (and unfortunately even to admins by Exchange...) is usually the value of the "Date" headers in the email. This "Date" header is controlled by the sender (the spammer) and can be modified to anything they wish.

Please note that there are some email clients that will instead default the "Received Date" display to the actual time the message was received by the client itself. These same email clients can usually be configured to display the "Received Date", which again is the date the email was received by the client, or they can be configured to display the "Sent Date", which matches the "Date" header as entered by the sender.

I'll be sending you shortly an email to the address you used to register in the forum having a future date of Sunday the 9th so you may see the difference. 
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
DblEdge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DblEdge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 2:19pm

Thanks Robert,

I received the email in my yahoo account and as stated even yahoo shows it as being received 8/9/2009.   Unfortunatly I did'nt use my corporate email when I registered this morning, I just updated that.   Could you resend the test message again?
I tried to emulate the problem but it doesnt work for me.    I make a telnet connection to my spamfilter server on port 25.
helo <my bogus domain>
mail from: <bogusname>
rcpt to: <my email address>
data
subject:test subject line
date:Sun, 9 Aug 2009 21:08:37 -0400
this is the body of the email

The email arrives and the received date shows the current date/time in outlook.  Yes the sent date shows 8/9.    What did I miss? How did yours alter the received date, yet mine doesnt?

Thanks for all the help.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 4:24pm
I just re-sent the email to your corporate address. This is the full SMTP source I used (masking your email):

To: e@blablabla.net
Subject: Test with future date
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 21:08:37 -0400
Content-Type: text/html;charset="ISO-8859-1";

This is a sample email where the "spammer" inserted a bogus date with a future value of Sunday Aug 9.

Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software

Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic