Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Linux Installation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jim Whitesell View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Whitesell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Linux Installation?
    Posted: 27 March 2003 at 12:00am

Hi, I just downloaded the zip file and am looking for installation help in on Linux box. I don't see anything that explains the installation proceedure. My servers are all co-located so I don't have physical access to them, just ftp/telnet/ssh.

How do I get started?

Thanks,

Jim Whitesell

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2003 at 12:00am

Jim,

Demand for the Linux verison has been tremendously low. For this reason we left development on it a bit behind.

In any case, under Linux SpamFilter only runs as a GUI application under XWindows. The two SpamFilter files can go anywhere you like, the .so library should be installed with ldconfig.

If there will be more demand we'll resume Linux developlment, and will bring the Linux verison up-to-date with the Windows features.

Roberto Franceschetti LogSat Software

Dave View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2003 at 12:00am

I would love to run spamfilter on my linux box but, I don't want to leave an X session up all the time. It would be MUCH better to run a process in the background. Is there any development on this? If so, when can we expect it? Thanks.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2003 at 12:00am

Yes, we are working to bring the Linux version up-to-date with the Windows one, and to include a console application for it so you're not forced to use the GUI. We expect to have something ready in 4-5 weeks.

Roberto Franceschetti LogSat Software

Dex View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2003 at 10:10pm
Will the new linux port be posted on your web site, are can we be notified?
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2003 at 11:21am

Yes, it will be posted here. Unfortunately we're not setup with a notification mailing list, so there is no automated notification possible right now.

Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software

Dex View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2003 at 1:24pm

Will Logsat need testers for the linux installation, if so I would love to volunteer.

Thanks

Robert Shelton View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2003 at 12:49pm

Roberto - I would prefer a Linux version. I am trying to get off of MS infrastructure due to security problems with it. I have moved back to RH/Apache for our web, and a free license FTP server. A good spam filter is a must, regardless of the email server. I would be happy to beta test the Linux version. Right now it looks too far behind the Windows version, so I suspect that the low demaind these days is being fueled by the growing gap between the releases. You might want to link up with linux.org or other of the linux sites to get more visibility to your product. I think you'd find an enthusiastic reception.

Robert

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2003 at 2:28pm

Thanks for the input Robert, as soon as demand for new features slows down we'll be able to go back to bringing the Linux build up to date!

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic