Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Open relay testing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bill Stewart View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open relay testing
    Posted: 10 April 2003 at 2:25pm

I am performing open relay testing on my server. I am using a telnet session to port 25 on my server and entering commands manually. I have found that entering a non-local RCPT TO does not generate a "550 Relaying is prohibited" message -- it responds with an OK. Also, here is what the log shows:

04/10/03 12:13:03:078 -- (565) Bypassed all rules for: somebody@somewhere.com from whoever@whoever.com
04/10/03 12:13:16:796 -- (565) EMail from  to somebody@somewhere.com was queued. Size: 1 KB
04/10/03 12:13:16:812 -- (177) Sending email from  to
somebody@somewhere.com
04/10/03 12:13:16:968 -- (177) server error - Relaying is prohibited
04/10/03 12:13:31:265 -- (565) Disconnect

I am wondering about the "Bypassed all rules for" message for a non-local address, and why SpamFilter doesn't immediately generate a relay error after a non-local RCPT TO.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2003 at 6:52pm

Bill,

The log entry shows a "Bypassed all rules for: ". This usually means one of four things:

• The IP address you are testing from is listed in the "Excluded Domains/IPs" white list.
  • The "From" domain is listed in the above white list
  • The "From" email address is listed in the "Excluded FROM EMails" white list
  • The RCPT TO address you are testing with is listed in the "Unfiltered Emails" white list.

If neither of these four are true, if you can then email us the full copy of the log containing the reject (with IPs and emails) along with your SpamFilter.ini file we'll take a look

Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software

Bill Stewart View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2003 at 11:04am

In my case, none of the four conditions appears to be true.

I sent you an e-mail containing a zipped copy of the log file and the .ini file.

Thanks for checking into this for me.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2003 at 10:01am

Bill,

I think the mistery is solved...

From your log we saw that the IP starting the connection is is the IP SpamFilter is listening on! That one is trusted by default, so it's able to send anything it wants... You'll need to run your anti-relay tests from a box other than the one SpamFilter is installed on :-)

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic