Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blocking out going messages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Heath View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blocking out going messages
    Posted: 08 April 2003 at 6:51pm

I am sure I am doing wrong but I am not sure what. It seems that after I set things up I am not able to send mail outside of our own domain. For instance, I can't send mail to a hotmail account (I get a 557 error) but I am able to receive mail from the same account.

Any clue as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Bill Stewart View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2003 at 7:14pm
SpamFilter only delivers incoming mail to the domains you specify. It's not a server you should be using to send outgoing mail.
heath View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2003 at 7:22pm
I realize that SpamFilter is not a mail server, that it is only to filter mail going to your server. But it seems to me that both incoming and out going mail is being captured and filtered through it. The only way that I was able to make it send mail to the hotmail account was by listing the sender's email on the white list. But then not only did it's own mail go through but, obviously, so did anything sent to it, spam or otherwise.
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2003 at 10:13pm

Heath,

Please take a look at the posting "RE: Relay Settings" as it probably has the explanation you're looking for. I'm inlcuding the section that applies to you below. At http://logsat.com/spamfilter/details.asp you'll find sample DNS configurations. 

Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software

========================

Terry,

Are the university users trying to send *you* email, or are they trying to send email to the outside (eg to joe@yahoo.com)?

If the answer is the 2nd (to the outside), that should not work. SpamFilter is designed to handle your *incoming* email only. Users mailing to the outside should sitll have in their "outgoing SMTP server" settings in their email clients the address of your SMTP server, not SpamFilter.

If the problem is that they can't send email to you, are you sure that you entered your domain in the "Local Domains" list?

If you want to email us a copy of your spamfilter.ini file at support@logsat.com, along with a description of the meial domains involved in this, we'll take a look.

Bill Stewart View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2003 at 11:26pm
Right--you don't use it as a server to send your outgoing mail. It's purpose is only to relay mail to your server. For example, at my site, SpamFilter sits and listens for mail. When it gets valid mail for processing, it sends it onto my internal mail server that's running on a different machine. My other machine sends outgoing mail; not SpamFilter.
heath View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2003 at 1:15pm

I understand now.

It would seem that it is not possible with my current firewall and mail server. It makes all messages whether incoming or out going pass through the SpamFilter. So much for that idea. Thanks for your help.

russ View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2003 at 12:41pm

Just a guess, Heath.

Is it possible that your internal systems (if on a private subnet) are resolving the mail server IP to the outside public IP?

Been there, done that, most firewalls will not allow you to egress and then come back in the same external IP or subnet.

Russ

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic