Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ServiceMode program control

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MarvinFS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvinFS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ServiceMode program control
    Posted: 24 March 2003 at 12:00am

How to control\monitor program when in service mode? When the service is installed and started i try to launch spamfilter, it tells me that it could not bind to socket. (i.e already running) It is possible to press run nonservice button in config and then buttons changes to grayed out stop service and enabled remove service button.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2003 at 12:00am

When it runs as a service you should see a SpamFilter icon in the tray bar (lower right). Clicking on it will bring up the management GUI.

Pse note the following two issues:

On NT4 only, the icon does not show up when the server is rebooted. It will reappear if the SpamFilter service is stopped and restarted.

The tray icon will not show if remoting in the server with Terminal Services due to the way Windows interacts with our service. It will be visible if remoting in with PCAnywhere, Remote Desktop, VNC and others though.

Roberto Franceschetti LogSat Software

Lee View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2003 at 12:00am

Roberto, I also notice that you can't close the service control program. Once I click on the taskbar icon, the Close X button is grayed out. Most programs let you close the app but keeps the NT service running. Of course the taskbar icon would still available to relaunch the app.

Lee

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2003 at 12:00am

The service application was designed in a rather unorthodox way.

We wanted to provide SpamFilter in three different flavors. A Windows standalone application, a Windows NT service, and a Unix GUI application (a Unix console application is on the way). We succeeded, and furthermore we simplified development a lot by using a single set of source code that can be compiled in three different ways.

The service is unusual in that there is no control program. The GUI you see *is* the service. Closing the GUI would shutdown the service. When there is nobody logged in NT, the GUI window is simply hidden, and keeps running in the background. You are correct, this is not how usually services are designed, but it is what allows us to maintain two applications (standalone & service) always in sync development-wise.

PS - the next build we will be releasing within the next day or so fixes the issue of having many input boxes being read-only when running in service-mode.

Roberto Franceschetti LogSat Software

Lee View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2003 at 12:00am

Roberto, I certainly understand about maintaining multiple codebases and can see why you have gone the route you have. If maintaining multiple platforms means you do not get all the little nuance of every OS then I think you have still made the right decision.

PLEASE keep it up.

Lee

MarvinFS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarvinFS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2003 at 12:00am

Aha! Thanks that was a problem I use Terminalservices...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic