Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lost email quick help ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vbourbeau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbourbeau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lost email quick help ...
    Posted: 04 November 2013 at 9:53am
Hi,

I've got big problem. This weekend my email server (exchange 2010) stop receiving email because missing ressource for queuing process. Here the error message:
4.3.1 Insufficient system resources

But when I fix the problem spamfilter don't release the queued email. As result no email for my client and no error reply for the sender. Nothing ... The only thing I have is the sender email address in the logs files.

Is the email still somewhere? What can I do?

my spamfiler version is 4.2.4.844

Thank you.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2013 at 10:21am
vbourbeau,

If the destination SMTP server is unavailable, offline, or rejects connection attempts with a 400 SMTP error code (which indicates a temporary error condition per RFC), then SpamFilter will by default queue the emails to be delivered, and will automatically re-attempt to deliver them every few minutes until the server is back online (by default it will retry forever). If the SMTP server instead rejects connections from SpamFilter with a 500 SMTP error code (which per RFC indicates a permanent error condition, such a non-existing user, mailbox full etc), then SpamFilter will not queue the email and will instead send a NDR to the sender to inform them of the problem.

There are some settings in the SpamFilter.ini file which however can alter this default behavior:

;Determines if SpamFilter should hold in the queue emails that were rejected by the destination SMTP server with an error in the 4xy range
QueueIfDestinationError400=1

;Determines if SpamFilter should hold in the queue emails that were rejected by the destination SMTP server with an error in the 5xy range
QueueIfDestinationError500=0

;Number of hours SpamFilter will retry to deliver messages in queue to your destination SMTP server if it was unreachable. Enter 0 to try forever until back online.
ExpireRetryQueueHours=0

From your post it's not possible to determine how your Exchange server was rejecting those emails. If you'd like to zip us SpamFilter's activity logfile for that day we'll be glad to help more. We'd also need the SpamFilter.ini file containing that day's settings as well, in case they were changed afterwards. You can email us the zip to support at logsat.com if the file is smaller than 8MB. If larger, I'll send you in a separate PM the credentials to upload it to our FTP site.

Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2013 at 12:14pm
I'm afraid I do not have good news. The settings in the SpamFilter.ini file had been configured with this value, which tells SpamFilter that emails rejected with a 4xx error code (which is what happened with Exchange) should *not* be queued for later delivery, and that an NDR (non-deliverable bounce) should be sent instead to the sender:

QueueIfDestinationError400=0

Unfortunately SpamFilter was encountering the same " 4.3.1 Insufficient system resources" problem when it was forwarding the NDR emails to your Exchange server for delivery, and thus the NDRs were never sent out. 

I also replied to you via email, and there I attached a .csv file with a list of all the emails that were not delivered due to that problem. I hope it helps you to notify the parties involved of what happened.

I strongly recommend you revert that value in the SpamFilter.ini back to "1" so that in the future such emails will be queued so they can be delivered as soon as any Exchange problems are resolved. Also, in the SpamFilter.ini file there is this option available to specify a different SMTP server to use to send out NDR emails if desired in the future:

;An alternate server for sending NDR (non-delivery) notification emails can be used. Leave the "NotificationSMTPServer" value blank to use the default destination SMTP server
NotificationSMTPServer=
NotificationSMTPServerPort=25

Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic