Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rejected mails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zoro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rejected mails
    Posted: 27 October 2005 at 7:53am
I'm testing spamfilter for few days in my environment, and I set it so  inbound mails get through spamfilter, and outgoing ones go outside right away. Does the byasan filter work in this configuration? If it's set learning status, is it already active?
About quarantine db: I thought all mails should be saved in quarantine, rejected too, instead there are only some: how the rejected mails are managed?
I use Access db for quarantine: where are saved the mails body? They aren't in the db mdb.
I've serched for documentation about these questions, but didn't find!
thank you in advance for help
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2005 at 8:01pm
SpamFilter will analyze all emails that go thru it. SpamFilter is designed to handle incoming emails only. If you use SpamFilter to process outbound emails as well, you'll need to add an IP whitelist so that clients within your network will be allowed to use SpamFilter as a relay to send emails to the internet.

If this is done, SpamFilter will process the outgoing emails just like all the incomings, except that as the outgoing are all whitelisted, they will be marked as "good", and the statistical filter will "learn" that they are good emails.

However please note that all Bayesian filters work by comparing an incoming email against all the other incoming emails that have been received. All incoming emails you receive create some sort of "pattern" (we call it DNA sampling) that is unique to your installation. If you "interfere" with the flow of incoming emails by causing the bayesian filter to process your outgoing emails as well, this may altern the "pattern" and cause it to be different than it would be if only receiving emails.

As far as the quarantine is concerned, almost all spam will be saved in the database. The only exception are emails *not* addressed to your domains. These are always attempts by spammers to use your server as an open relay to bounce emails to other servers. As the emails are not addressed to your users, they are neither received nor saved.

The email body is stored in the Msg field in the tblMsg table in the database.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Zoro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 4:00am
Thank you for the helpful answer,
I understood how baysian filter works, but... how can I teach it that a specific mail I received is spam? that is: what can I do to add a spam mail to the corpus database?

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2005 at 9:33pm
That cannot be done currently. In order to learn that an email that was delivered is acutally spam, a user would need to send the *original*, unmodified email to Spam Filter so it can be re-processed. However many email clients will greatly modify the email's content upon reading and forwarding. Inorder to achieve accurate results, the Bayesian filter will need to see the email exactly as it was received. Feeding into the filter an altered email will not produce accurate results. Due to the difficulty in ensuring that users forward the exact email contents, this feature has not been implemented.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Web123 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Web123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 1:35am

So we would need to have a separate DB with a copy off all the messages for  x days, and if a trigger would be executed SF could resend a mail with a "mark this message as spam" tag.

/Web123

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 4:49pm
Yes, that is the same option we've been looking at.

However it is our experience that the Bayesian filter, while it does its job, its not as effective as some of the other filters we use. Due to this, to tell the truth, we've been concentrating more on those, rather than adding that additional feature to the bayesian filter.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic