Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Just some thoughts and questions on Latest release
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Just some thoughts and questions on Latest release

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IKILLSPAM1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKILLSPAM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just some thoughts and questions on Latest release
    Posted: 15 January 2008 at 12:50pm
I have just implemented the latest version 4.0.0.768.  After the initial scary part where everyones emails are getting temp rejected, I started to see how nicely this works. Just some thoughts I would like to get out after getting greylisting going.

1. I cant seem to edit the 421 Reject Msg for Greylisting. I'd prefer not to let them know how many minutes. I mean its not like someone is sitting on the other end and says ohh their server says to wait 5minutes before retrying ok lets wait. I think it just gives spammers another way to learn your setup. I have seen others ask to edit this message with no response from Logsat.

2. With Greylisting now enabled, all my nice exciting stats showing all these emails getting blocked are gonna go way down. Kinda takes away that feeling of winning the battle. I mean i know theres less strain on the server, resources etc..  But I always liked to see how efficient all my filtering was.

3. Greylisting seems to be mostly beneficial for large organizations. Am I wrong? I mean we only host around 600 mailboxes for our clients. Before greylisting we had around 90,000 emails in quarantine. So we arent huge by any means. But it just seems that this isnt going to be super effective for someone small like me. But even so, I dont see any downside to using greylisting. To me it only helps keep out those initial junk mailservers. The most persistant ones will get by the greylisting, but to what, to get nabbed by the other slew of filtering mechinisms setup, SURBL,MAPS,KEYWORDS,PTR,MX,IPs. So I mean the only downside is a short delay on first attempts from valid people. I dont see the big deal. I mean a client of ours uses MS Exchanges POP Connector. That cant even retrieve email sooner than 15minute intervals.

4. When someone emails us for the first time, does that sender themselves get an email with the 421 message? Or does their email server just log that information and re-attempt delivery, without the sender even knowing we have greylisting in place?

Ok if anyone bothered to read my mind dumping I appreciate it and any comments or info you can provide is always appreciated.

Joe

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 1:09pm

Joe,

First ... I am not the authority on this and these are my opinions only ...

1. I cant seem to edit the 421 Reject Msg for Greylisting.
ANSWER:  This is an known bug and is being worked on.

2. With Greylisting now enabled, all my nice exciting stats .....
ANSWER:  I agree but the end results are very dramatic which is most important.  I use SawMill to parse the logs and see the 90% Plus connections that are dropped.

3. Greylisting seems to be mostly beneficial for large organizations. Am I wrong?
ANSWER:  The Greylisting work very well on both my production server (high traffic) and my "personal" server.  It also cuts the possibility of "Attacks" down.

4. When someone emails us for the first time, does that sender themselves get an email with the 421 message? Or does their email server just log that information and re-attempt delivery, without the sender even knowing we have greylisting in place?
ANSWER:  The message is done at the server level and the sender does not get the bounce.  The 4xx error lets the server know it is a temporary failure and to try again

Edited by Desperado - 15 January 2008 at 2:10pm
The Desperado
Dan Seligmann.
Work: http://www.mags.net
Personal: http://www.desperado.com

IKILLSPAM1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKILLSPAM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 1:32pm
I appreciate your response Dan. You may not be the authority but your word is good and I usually always read your responses in other posts.

I used your settings for the Greylist timeouts. So thanks!
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 10:04pm
Dan, thanks the the answers, you're absolutely correct on all of them!
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic