Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Keyword Filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IKILLSPAM1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKILLSPAM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyword Filter
    Posted: 08 May 2007 at 3:15pm

I have a few questions. Without having to do complex RegExes, can you simply use wildcards? Docs dont say you can so I thought Id ask.

Like for example *giftcard*  would find yourgiftcard

I need to move over my keywords to SF but cant if wildcards arent an option.

Also, do I have the ability to whitelist localusers who DONT want their email filtered for keywords? I want them to get all the other filtering just not Keywords.

Thanks!

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 4:17pm
Most blacklists/whitelist entries support wildcards, but the "Keyword filter" does not. This was done by design to allow for better searches.

For example, if you specify the entry giftcard in your keywords, SpamFilter will look for this text anywhere in the email. This will thus cause a match for yourgiftcard and yourgiftcardarrived without the need to specify wildcards.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKILLSPAM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 4:53pm

What if you just wanted to catch giftcard itself?

Also you didnt comment on whitelisting local addresses which dont want keyword filtering but want all the other filtering.

Thanks Roberto

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 5:05pm

IKILLSPAM1,

The regular expression:
((?i)(\bgiftcard\s))
will stop asefwe giftcard sartwe
BUT NOT asdffgiftcard wergbreynb
OR sdfgweg giftcardwesgwetv

Need to know what version for part 2 of your question.  There is (in SFI) something called "Custom Domain Filters" which will let you selectively turn on or off many of the filters on a per-domain basis.

The Desperado
Dan Seligmann.
Work: http://www.mags.net
Personal: http://www.desperado.com

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2007 at 8:08pm
IKILLSPAM1, Dan is right about his suggestion. You will need to use RegEx to stop a word by itself, avoiding to cause a match if it's embedded in a longer word.

Sorry for part #2, I missed that. You cannot currently configure individual users so they are excluded/included from certain filter. That can only be done at a domain level, meaning it can be done only for all users of an email domain.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKILLSPAM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 9:50am

Well I have users who dont like being under the keyword filter. So I simply put their local email address as an exception to the keyword filtering. But all other filtering, DNSBL,URLBL,no PTR, etc.. they still have. I am strict on keyword filtering and end up blocking newsletters and etc.. and some people actually want them.

I've seen you take in suggestions before, how about a new tab on the whitelists screen. Just like the excluded FROM emails, have an excluded TO emails. Which someone can put local accounts in and have those users bypass keyword filtering. Something to that effect.

I wouldnt want to exclude a whole domain. My boss is one of these people who want to be excluded from keyword filtering, I for one want it. So we have a conflict here and domain level exclusion wouldnt suffice.

Dan im test driving SFI 3.5.3.662

Thanks Guys

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKILLSPAM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 10:28am

Sorry to be a pain but are the Keywords case sensitive?

If I have giftcard  in my list will Giftcard also be a match?

Thanks

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 1:32pm
The way I wrote this, case does not matter.
The Desperado
Dan Seligmann.
Work: http://www.mags.net
Personal: http://www.desperado.com

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKILLSPAM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 4:23pm

What if Im not using RegEx. If in the keywords i just have giftcard on one line, will it also pickup Giftcard?

And I really need some way of excluding certain localusers from keyword filtering

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2007 at 4:38pm
keywords are not case sensitive when not using RegEx.

With RegEx, please note that while RegEx itself is a "case-sensitive language", SpamFilter will convert the entrie message to lowercase before passing it to the RegEx processor.

SpamFilter does not allow to configure specific users to bypass the keyword filters. That can only be done on a per-domain basis.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic