Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreign character problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Greg View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreign character problem
    Posted: 06 August 2003 at 5:00pm

Greetings.

I'll start by saying we're currently running Spamfilter version 1.1.2.122.  We haven't upgraded to anything newer because we haven't had the time to test using the new database quarantine yet... and the 122 version has been working great.

We have run into a problem with a couple of customers from Japan that use foreign characters in the "From" display listing.  The actual return address uses English characters, but the "From" display name does not.  We have whitelisted their domain name and gateway addresses, but the messages from them are simply dropped.  They don't come through and there is no bounce back to the sender now but they did come through fine before we implemented Spamfilter.

Looking at our spamfilter logs I see an entry for this customer that says:

(563)  EMail from:  garbage characters{return address} to: {delivery address} was returned to sender - server error - malformed address: {garbage characters{return address}}

but nothing acutally bounces back to the sender.

I have a screenshot of the log file I can send if someone at Logsat support would like to see it.

I've read about the Fedex non-RFC compliant problem in other posts, so my question is if the new beta release 194 will solve this problem the same way it does for the Fedex messages?

Thanks for any help,

Greg

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2003 at 11:11pm

This may not be of help but the mail may not be being returned due, in fact, to the fal formed return address.

The 194 build has better options for both filtering and non filtering and I suspect that if you can allow the actual IP address, it will pass through no matter what.

I will defer the actual verdict to LogSat support though.

Dan S.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2003 at 11:45pm

Greg,

Could you email us at support@logsat.com the portion of the logs that shows the actual garbage characters?

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2003 at 10:38pm

Greg,

In our tests with the latest beta build .196 and using the sample message you sent us, it was delivered properly.

I seem to recall you had issues running the new 1.2.x builds since you did not have MDAC installed on the server. In the .196 build we were successfully able to have SpamFilter run without requiring the presence of the MDAC components. The database quarantine will be disable in this case of course.

Even thought it's still a beta so is not fully tested yet, is it possible for you to try the latest build to see if it solves your issue?

Roberto
LogSat Software

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic