Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EVAL vs free version

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EVAL vs free version
    Posted: 01 August 2007 at 2:11pm

Hi,

I'm a student and running for hobby a couple of websites and an e-mail server for friends, and started using beginning of this year SpamFilter ISP v.3.1.3.599

It says unregistered and unlicensed eval in the e-mails, which I'm okay with.

1) What version can or should I upgrade to?
I only see the Enterprise edition's eval for download.

2) Does the Ent. Eval expire after 30 or 45 days?
(found conflicting info in couple of places)

3) What kind of information does the SF exchange with centralized servers? I read in a forum topic that evals are activated by the use of a centralized server.

4) Once the Ent. Eval expires, what happens? Does it convert to SF ISP free version? or does it stop working completely?

5) Where or how can I get a free version?
I have about 20 domain names, and get hammered by spam everyday for some odd reason.

Thanks for your help in advance! And good job on a pretty good spam filter solution!

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 4:27pm
peet,

For several years we used to make available an evaluation of SpamFilter that contained no expirations dates, but that was only so that the product could be evaluated freely by administrators before making the purchase. It was not a license to use SpamFilter for free in a live environment...

Unfortunately this "relaxed" way to allow evaluations was abused, so we changed evals so that they expire after 45 days. This applies to both SpamFilter Enterprise and "Standard".
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
peet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 5:50pm

LogSat,

Understandable.

What would you suggest for a student/hobbist who doesn't have a budget like companies do for spam filtering?

With much thanks, -Peet

WebGuyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebGuyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2007 at 8:46pm
Smartermail has a free edition of their mail server software which includes Antispam Software. You can install it as a single gateway in front of your mail  server and get a lot of the functionality of SF plus a few other things like greylisting and Spamassassin which SF does not have. Good technology to learn. If I wasn't using SF I would probably lean toward going in that direction for an anti-spam solution.
http://www.webguyz.net
peet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:15pm

Thanks WebGuys! I'll look into that.
I will miss SF, since it is a really good design, and easy to use with all the features one could think of!

WebGuyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WebGuyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2007 at 1:20pm
Its great, but someones gotta keep feeding Roberto and the team so the great support and innovations don't stop.
http://www.webguyz.net
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic