Print Page | Close Window

100% CPU with Maximum Connections

Printed From: LogSat Software
Category: Spam Filter ISP
Forum Name: Spam Filter ISP Support
Forum Description: General support for Spam Filter ISP
URL: http://www.logsat.com/spamfilter/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=5075
Printed Date: 21 October 2017 at 4:32am


Topic: 100% CPU with Maximum Connections
Posted By: maximus
Subject: 100% CPU with Maximum Connections
Date Posted: 25 February 2005 at 11:33am

 I am running SF on a new server: 2.4 Ghz, 1 1/2 Gig RAM, 250 Gig Drive. I have all my Inbound Internet email coming into the SF box, run through its filters, then forward over to my email server.

I was getting a massive amount of email from Korea and China, and Canada, all SPAM. So I blocked those countries and those I knew I should not be receiving email from. (I don't have any customers getting email from turkey, etc...)

After about 10 minuters I started getting 100% CPU usage and my maximum connections were just that; maxed out.

I increased the max connections from 100 to 200; no change.

I increased them to 300; no change.

I stopped the Bayesian filtering; no change.

I stopped the SPF filtering; no change.

I removed ~1/2 of my 1800 phrases from the phrase filtering; no change.

The only way I got this to stop was to UNBLOCK Korea, China, and Canada at which point my CPU dropped to an average of 14% and my max connections went from 200+ to an average of 25. I REBLOCKED the exact same countries and the problem has not returned.

Any ideas why this happened?




Replies:
Posted By: LogSat
Date Posted: 25 February 2005 at 3:25pm
What build of SpamFilter is this happening with?

-------------
Roberto Franceschetti

http://www.logsat.com" rel="nofollow - LogSat Software

http://www.logsat.com/sfi-spam-filter.asp" rel="nofollow - Spam Filter ISP


Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 26 February 2005 at 5:01pm

I knew I forgeot to tell you something:

v 2.1.2.395



Posted By: LogSat
Date Posted: 26 February 2005 at 5:43pm
In build 2.1.2.401 there was a fix made that seems to be related to the issue you're having. Here are the release notes for that build:

// New to VersionNumber = '2.1.2.401';
{TODO -cFix : Improved stability when experiencing high SMTP traffic over the Max Incoming Connections limit}
{TODO -cFix : Eliminated occasional <CR> or <LF> in logged DNS responses that caused the logfile to have line breaks in them}

We can't be 100% sure that this was the problem, the only way to be certain is to install build 401 or higher.



-------------
Roberto Franceschetti

http://www.logsat.com" rel="nofollow - LogSat Software

http://www.logsat.com/sfi-spam-filter.asp" rel="nofollow - Spam Filter ISP


Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01 March 2005 at 10:55pm
Is this the Paid version?


Posted By: LogSat
Date Posted: 02 March 2005 at 4:43pm
Yeap!

-------------
Roberto Franceschetti

http://www.logsat.com" rel="nofollow - LogSat Software

http://www.logsat.com/sfi-spam-filter.asp" rel="nofollow - Spam Filter ISP


Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10 March 2005 at 11:46pm
Great.


Posted By: LogSat
Date Posted: 11 March 2005 at 2:35pm
There is the new beta of SpamFilter v2.2 that is freely available. It includes the fix you're looking for. Note that beta builds all have expiration dates, but it will allow you to test to see if the fix included in the retail version does fix your issue.

-------------
Roberto Franceschetti

http://www.logsat.com" rel="nofollow - LogSat Software

http://www.logsat.com/sfi-spam-filter.asp" rel="nofollow - Spam Filter ISP



Print Page | Close Window