Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with Header

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
miltonqp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miltonqp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with Header
    Posted: 11 January 2008 at 8:23pm
Hi

I'm using an old version of SpamFilter (2.7.1.532) and recently we receive a recommendation of one of our partners, to modify header:

Received: from 10.23.166.181 by mydomain.com (LogSat Software SMTP Server ) Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:52:52 -0600

They say:

"Per RFC822, this long line needs to be broken up properly with a semi-colon before the date."

we need to add this semi- colon or  configure spamfilter to eliminate  that header

Can you help us to fix that?

Regards

Milton
Milton
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 11:05pm
Milton,

I'm sorry, but I believe your partner may be incorrect. The only information I see in RFC822 that regards the length of the headers is the following:

3.4.8.  FOLDING LONG HEADER FIELDS

Each header field may be represented on exactly one line con-
sisting of the name of the field and its body, and terminated
by a CRLF; this is what the parser sees. For readability, the
field-body portion of long header fields may be "folded" onto
multiple lines of the actual field. "Long" is commonly inter-
preted to mean greater than 65 or 72 characters. The former
length serves as a limit, when the message is to be viewed on
most simple terminals which use simple display software; how-
ever, the limit is not imposed by this standard.

In bold, I've highlighted the words that state that the lines may be folded for readability on older terminals. Please do note that the RFC is dated 1982, so we're already talking "simple" terminals per the standards available 25 years ago :-)

In italics I highlighted the section that states there is not limit set by this RFC.

As a reference, in RFC2821, there is instead defined a clear limit of 1,000 on the maximum length of any line in the email (SpamFilter's header is below that threshold), and the relevant section is:

text line
The maximum total length of a text line including the <CRLF> is
1000 characters (not counting the leading dot duplicated for
transparency). This number may be increased by the use of SMTP
Service Extensions.

Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
miltonqp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miltonqp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 12:21pm
Thanks for your response

Unfortunately, seems that our partner is correct; we disabled Spamfilter for one of our domains (and problematic header disappeared from mails sent to that domain); then we made tests and the application with troubles works OK.

Please, tell us if exists any way to modify or eliminate header added by spamfilter in messages

Thanks

Milton
Milton
Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 12:33pm
Milton,

Your partner may be correct about the application not working but LogSat is correct on the RFC requirement.  I searched the RFC and say nothing to indicate that to OLD version headers are actually in any violation.  HOWEVER, this is what a header looks like from a newer version of SpamFilter:

Received: from xx.xxx.xxx.x by MyServer.MyDomain.com (LogSat Software SMTP Server); Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:50:11 -0500

Any chance of upgrading?  BTW ... I am a user ... not afiliated with LogSat.

Edited by Desperado - 15 January 2008 at 12:34pm
The Desperado
Dan Seligmann.
Work: http://www.mags.net
Personal: http://www.desperado.com

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2008 at 7:47pm
Milton,

I'm sorry again, but either your partner has a bug in the mail application if it really can't handle long headers, or they having problems sending you emails, are not sure of what the real issue is, and thus they came up with the RFC comments.
In case it's option #2, and the can provide you with the exact error message they are receiving, we can try to help finding out what the real cause of the problem is.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic