Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

best way to setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
njtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best way to setup
    Posted: 20 August 2007 at 2:18pm
We have been using spam filter ISP but have issues with
spam getting by and going right to our mail server smtp
which is also external. This is no fault of spam filter isp
it just that the spammers are finding our mail server smtp
directly.

We need to have this smtp setup so our users can send mail
though.. so

Question is what is the best way to setup spam filter so that
only my mail server will accept connections from spam filter
ISP and my authenticated users? do I just need a second smtp
for my users that only deal with sending mail? and have my mail
server only accept connections from spam filter?

Thanks
Stupid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 5:17pm
Setup your SMTP server to only accept connections from authenticated users.

What SMTP server is this?
njtech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 2:18pm
Its mail enable .. I am not worried about users sending mail through this connector it is already setup for auth. Its the mail getting sent to the server ...for example you send a email to me ..you send via your smtp the server sends it to my server using smtp connector (on my end) right?

if setup correctly Spam filter is in front.. but  the problem is spammers are finding my mail enable smtp connector. I can't block the smtp connector because my users need to send mail through it as well.

IKILLSPAM1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IKILLSPAM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2007 at 2:45pm
Well this answer is kinda moot as this was posted a few weeks ago but your problem cant be avoided, that is unless you make some changes which I know you arent going to want to do.

You have to keep your mailserver running on port 25 so your users can send out email correct? If thats the case then you have to either lock down the IPs allowed to connect to it, or change the port it listens on and then you will have to change your clients SMTP port in their email client.

I have the same problem, my users send out using my mailserver on port 25. Spammers are bypassing the MX record for domains I host, which is in turn going around spamfilter. My mailserver is then left to deal with the email directly. So I leave it configured with some antispam mechinisms as well, DNSBLs for one. I dont see it as a big problem so I havent bothered to deal with it.  Locking down IPs allowed to send out through my server is not an option, neither is changing its port, so I am kind of stuck with allowing the connections in.

Best bet, tighten Mailenable. Require PTRs and use a few DNSBLs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic