Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US IP’s locked as originating from "Black

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mxlogic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxlogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US IP’s locked as originating from "Black
    Posted: 09 November 2006 at 12:59pm

Hi Logsat,

My name is Peter and I am the Threat Manager for MX Logic - an anti-spam/anti-virus service provider in Denver CO - www.mxlogic.com

Lately, some of our customers have been receiving bounce messages that say the email was denied because our traffic is coming from "A Blacklisted Country".  We believe that the recipient network is using the SpamFilter application.

Our IP space is 208.65.144.0/21 - do you have an idea as to why this IP space might be rejected as originating from a blacklisted country?  We are a US company sending from Denver, CO.

Any information or suggestions for a permanent solution you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 4:02pm
Peter,

Our software performs an IP-to-Country lookup using a locally stored database on the company's mail server. I verified that your IP does resolve to a US IP. We released an update to the coutry database in June of this year, and it has the correct information. The previous update, on April 2006, however did not contain any country information about the IPs. Did you just receive the addresses a few months ago?

It is possible that some users do not have the updated geographical database. In that case, the IP would not resolve to a country. Administrators can configure our software to reject emails originating from any country. Unfortunately, against our advice, some admins do also chose to reject IPs that have no country associated with them. We have no control over that, I'm sorry.

I'd recommend you contact the sender's ISP to inform them of the problem.

As a side-note, it is entirely possible that a non-US ISP/company choses to block all emails from the US, if they only perform business withini individuals within their own country. We of course think it's a bas idea (we ourselves would not be able to send them emails...), but there are some strange requirements in some countries...
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
mxlogic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mxlogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2006 at 7:22pm
Hi Roberto,

Thanks very much for the fast reply.

You are correct - we just switched to these IP addresses a couple of months ago.

I understand the situation - that is exactly the information I needed.  This has only happened to us with two domains, so I'll bet they need to update.

Thanks again for the help.  If we may ever be of assistance, please let me know.

Peter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic