Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Excluded Domains/IP & Excluded From Email

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dan B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excluded Domains/IP & Excluded From Email
    Posted: 10 April 2006 at 9:50pm

R,

Question,

Does The Whitelist Excluded Domains/IP look only at the reverse and / or the ip address of the server connecting to SF?  Or does it also look at the domain of the from email address?

Becase I have a domain whitelisted in the Excluded Domains/IP and I received a junk message that the ip address does not have a reverse lookup and was not whitelisted but was permited to pass SF due to the domain of from email address matched the whitelisted excluded domain entry.

Example:

I have the domain    abcd.com in my Whitelist Excluded Domain and it's not in my Whitelist From Email.
The junk message wes from ip address 220.107.96.38 and it doesn't have a reverse and it had a from address somemail@abcd.com   Should this email get stopped and be quarantined?

Thanks,
Dan B

Dan B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 9:52pm

I forgot to mention that in the email header it said that it was whitelisted due to Excluded Domains

Dan B

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 10:11pm
From the readme file:

• Excluded Domains / IPs - You can keep a file containing a list of  any "MAIL FROM" domains or any IPs from which you want to receive email if they would be blocked by any of your blacklist rules. Enter as many IPs or domains as you wish, one per line. Wildcards (* and ?, same rules as DOS wildcards) are allowed. To exclude a whole class C, enter it as 209.20.21.*. If the file does not exist it will be created. The file is reloaded every minute.

So to answer your question, if you have abcd.com in the "Excluded domains", as that filter looks at the MAIL FROM address (and not the reverse DNS), that email will be whitelisted.

A further explanation is owed to explain this behavior.

The (1) "Excluded FROM Emails" is a subset of the (2) "Excluded Domains / IPs". In reality, everything that can be accomplished with (1) can also be obtained with (2), but not vice-versa.

Historically we added filter (2) after filter (1). In order not to create issues with customers who were using (1), we've always left in place, even though (2) can obtain the same results.

Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Dan B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 10:15pm

R,

Thanks for clearing that up...

Is there a way to only whitelist on the reverse name of the ip address that matches *.abcd.com and not the from email address?

Thanks,
Dan B

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2006 at 10:31pm
Not currently, sorry...
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic