Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Max Message Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Max Message Size
    Posted: 03 November 2005 at 8:19am

Roberto,

Can a message size be detected *before* it is processed?  We ge into high, nonstop bandwidth issues when an inbound message is huge and the sender keeps retrying forever.  Here is a graph of one that is going on now (if the graph posts correctly)

Bullwinkle BW

Regards,

The Desperado
Dan Seligmann.
Work: http://www.mags.net
Personal: http://www.desperado.com

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2005 at 4:27pm
Dan,

What build are you using? Before build 2.6.3.485, SpamFilter was disconnecting the sender as soon as the max size limit was reached, thus saving possibly a lot of bandwidth as the remainder of the email was not sent.

However we recently discovered that in some cases the remote SMTP server would not see the numeric error code that SpamFilter sends just before disconnecting, and this was causing the remote server to continue trying on regular intervals.

Due to this, starting from build 485, we have been forced to completely receive the message (as the remote server may not listen until it's done sending...), and only then issue an error code and disconnect them. This solved the problem of the continuous retries, but does force the email to be fully received (SpamFilter will save CPU by not processing the message after it reached the max size, as it will already know it's going to be discarded).
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 2:30pm
Hello, Roberto

Is it possible to show Maximum Message Size (in reply to EHLO, as per RFC1870) so the remote server should not start sending oversized messages at all?
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2005 at 4:47pm
Excellent suggestion. We've placed it on top of our priority list, both due to its importance and ease of implementation. Please look for it in the next pre-release build, within a few days.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2005 at 11:09pm
Roman,

We've just pre-released build 2.6.3.981 in the registered user area. The release notes for it are below.

As a side note, it was interesting to notice how several SMTP servers, including Yahoo's, do support the SIZE command in RFC1870 when *receiving* email. They however do not make use of it when *sending* emails to others... In simple terms, Yahoo specifies a max SIZE in their EHLO text. However, when they send an email to SpamFilter, even though SpamFilter supports the new EHLO parameter, Yahoo completely ignores it and still sends the message over the max size specified... We're looking to see if there's anything we're missing here, but so far it looks as SMTP servers are simply ignoring the SIZE parameter.

// New to VersionNumber = '2.6.3.491';
{TODO -cNew : Added support for maximum message size in reply to EHLO and MAIL FROM, as per RFC1870}

Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2005 at 10:31am
Hello, Roberto

Version 491 still accepts oversized messages (in cases when remote server could ingnore "SIZE" parameter in EHLO response):

220 mail2.netwide.net Welcome to SpamFilterISP SMTP Server v2.6.3.491
EHLO __serv.l____a.com
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 5120000
250 HELP
MAIL FROM:<roman@__.ru> SIZE=70000000
250 Address Okay

while it should act like this:

220 mta198.mail.mud.yahoo.com ESMTP YSmtp service ready
EHLO __serv.l____a.com
250-mta198.mail.mud.yahoo.com
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 31981568
250 PIPELINING
MAIL FROM:<roman@__.ru> SIZE=50000000
552 message size exceeds maximum message size

BTW, as I can see, yahoo servers use "SIZE" feature on recieve, but they use only old simple HELO command while sending messages (at least from webinterface)

Edited by Roman
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2005 at 1:19pm
Roman,

The entry you posted is *very* strange. I found in our SpamFilter's log your test, but its timestamp is *after* your posting (meaning that the forum posting with the SMTP conversation occurred before our SpamFilter receved the connection). According to our logs, you were indeed  immediately disconnected because the message would have exceeded the max msg size. In the log below, the time shown is GMT -5:

11/12/05 12:51:39:735 -- (592) Connection from: aaa.bbb.191.122  -  Originating country : United States
11/12/05 12:51:59:193 -- (592) EMail from roman@__.ru will exceed the max msg size - rejected.
11/12/05 12:51:59:233 -- (592) Disconnect

I also tested our own install using your same SMTp commands, and was correctly disconnected:

220 mail2.netwide.net Welcome to SpamFilterISP SMTP Server v2.6.3.491
EHLO __serv.l____a.com
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 5120000
250 HELP
MAIL FROM:<roman@__.ru> SIZE=70000000
552 This email is rejected. It exceeds the maximum allowed message size.

Connection to host lost.

If you used a different address in your original post, then that would explain why I did not find you in the logs. If you can let us know what that was, I can try to see if we have some kind of whitelisting in our config that allowed you to send the email.
Roberto Franceschetti

LogSat Software

Spam Filter ISP
Roman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2005 at 2:05pm
Hmm, i've just tested again and was unable to reproduce my first test. Everything works as it should. It's very strange for me too. I definitly got "250 Address okay" at the first time, and it took for while to put my telnet output to clipboard, and then disconnected. I don't know what has happened, may be my misprint or something. Sorry for false alert.

PS: I'm GMT+3 and I use SNTP. I've updated this post at 22:51 (Moscow), 19:51 (UK), 14:51(NY), I'll see time stamp at forum 5:51pm.

and all dates looks reasonable to me: test at 12:59, post at 13:31

Edited by Roman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic