Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FRUSTRATED!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FRUSTRATED!
    Posted: 01 February 2005 at 6:04pm
This is not necessarily the place to vent BUT ...

A huge chunk of my customers "False Positive" Spam blocks are due to a multitude of DNS Server errors.  I put the Quotes around the False Positives because they really are not "False".  To me, DNS administration is a no-brainier and does not require a genius IQ so why all the errors?  Here is my take:

If you want to be an auto mechanic, you need to get training and get licensed by DMV (in our state).
If you want to be a lawyer, you need to pass the Bar Exam
If you want to be plumber, you need to get training and get a license.  And so on.

So ... why is it that any Jack Jerk can run a network that is connected to the internet and potentially effects millions, if not billions of people and businesses.  I am getting sick of total incompetence and I am loosing my tolerance for stupidity.

I think that anyone who persistently screws up DNS entries should be fined ... or at least get kicked in the butt.

And what about all the "Ad Ware" crap that cripples your computer and mines data from your machine?  Can't we just execute the authors of such software and while we are at it, execute the benefactors of the information gained.

It is time to kick some Congressional butt and also shut down all providers that do not at least TRY to do the right thing.  If the US started blocking "off shore" IP blocks that continue with malicious practices, those countries governments would also start taking a serious look at fixing their issues so that their people can continue to do business. 

Enough of my political ramblings ... Just wanted to know? ... Am I the only one starting to "see red"?

The Desperado
Dan Seligmann.
Work: http://www.mags.net
Personal: http://www.desperado.com

keizersozay View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keizersozay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2005 at 9:03am

You are saying what everyone here is feeling.

I too spend a lot of my time helping idiots fix their problems. I wish there was a low level non vendor specific cert that people had to take before legally saying "I'm a network engineer" but there isn't and probably won't be.

Setting up DNS is a no-brainer. Setting up DNS properly is only slightly more involved, leaving those with no brains out in the cold.

Matt R View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2005 at 10:57pm

All you gotta do is leave that whole column of checkboxes unchecked in the configuration and everything works fine and you can focus on blocking what you can block without having to play "DNS and Email config cop". 

Too many features have been added that can't be used without tons of false positives because they are not in line with commonly used DNS and Email configuration practices.

Uncheck some of those cryptic features and you'll be fine.

-Matt

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic