Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Block all incomming e-mail to specific address but allow from specifie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Block all incomming e-mail to specific address but allow from specifie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marty View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Block all incomming e-mail to specific address but allow from specifie
    Posted: 10 November 2004 at 3:51pm

I have setup new mail box for and two weeks later I'm getting spam messages that logsat does not detect as spam still.....I'm wondering if there is a way and what takes priority in filtering....

eg:  e-mail address dns@domain.com I want to block all messages to dns@domain.com but allow messages to be send to dns@domain.com from lets say my ISP only....but I don't want to block to rest of the domain....I know there is wany to black list but I don't know if black list takes over the white list or how...  thanks

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2004 at 10:49pm
Marty,

We're not 100% of what your exact requirement is, so we'll try to make it easier by posting the order in which SpamFilter processes the filters. All the white lists are checked first. If a match is found, the blacklists are skipped, the email recipients are accepted, and SpamFilter is ready to accept the data command. If none of the whitelists are matched, then the blacklists are currently searched in order below:

1. Allowed Domains 2. Local Domain BlackList 3. Local Emails Blacklist 4. Local Emails TO Blacklist 5. Not in Authorized TO Emails 6. Country Blacklist 7. Reject No Reverse DNS 8. Reject Empty Mail From 9. Reject Same To From Email address 10. Reject Same To From Domain 11. Recipient Count > Max RCPTTO 12. MX Record check 13. SPF Filter 14. MAPS check 15. Attachment Filter 16. Keywords 17. Bayesian Filtering Max RCPTTO 12. MX Record check 13. SPF Filter 14. MAPS check 15. Attachment Filter 16. Keywords 17. Bayesian Filtering Max RCPTTO 12. MX Record check 13. SPF Filter 14. MAPS check 15. Attachment Filter 16. Keywords 17. Bayesian Filtering

Roberto F. LogSat Software
andyp View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2004 at 11:55am

By not checking the AuthorizedTo list before the whitelist your negating the point of having the AuthorizedTo list.

We're getting tons of Joe Job bounces (using invalid users names) and most are being stopped by the AuthorizedTo list, but we have Yahoo Groups wildcard whitelisted and we are getting bounces from there. Doesn't it make sense to see if a user is valid before wasting ton on checking the other lists in the order???

Thanks!

Andy

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2004 at 5:22pm

Andy,

I'm not sure of "whitelist" you are referring to when saying "not checking the AuthorizedTo list before the whitelist".

As mentioned in this thread, the current order is:

1. Allowed Domains
2. Local Domain BlackList
3. Local Emails Blacklist
4. Local Emails TO Blacklist
5. Not in Authorized TO Emails
.......etc

Innumerous discussions can be spawned regarding the order of the filters. Please note that there is not one-solution-fit-all. For example for some it may seem  to check #5 before #1 makes more sense. For others, who have only 1 domain in the Allowed List, and 50,000 users in the "Authorized TO" whitelist, it will be much quicker to perform a check on #1 first, since there's only 1 entry, and then to perform a search in #5 for an address in a list of 50,000.

The real solution would be to make the order user-customizable, and that will be coming in future versions.

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

andy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2004 at 5:41pm

I must have mis-understood.

I am getting getting emails sent to postmaster because they are invalid users. And they really are not in my AuthorizedTo list.

I was puzzled as to why I was getting emails for invalid users but then noticed that the message came from one of the yahoo groups, which we have whitelisted because many of our customers subscribe to them (we are an ISP).

I guess in my mind what was happening was that the bounced mail got through because the FROM: was an address that we have whitelisted.(Yahoo Groups) and then  it sent a bounce email to an invalid use that was not in the AuthorizedTo list, which eventually got bounced to postmaster (me).

Best Regards,
Andy

johnny5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2005 at 3:33pm
You should check into the Aristotle Spam Defense Network.  It identifies servers, chokes them down prevents them from sending any spam to your box ever again.  I signed on months ago and have literally been spam and virus free!!  I suggest you check out aristotle's website.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic