Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

verizon.net MTA Check Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jerry View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: verizon.net MTA Check Issue
    Posted: 16 September 2004 at 8:55am

I thought I would pass along to all, that if you make use of the reject if the from field is empty, you may end up being blacklisted by verizon.net.  Verizon.net started performing an MTA check on the sending user account sometime in late June 2004, before they accept the message they come back into your mail system to validate the authenticity of the sending account. 

However they use an empty from field when doing this check.  I ended up being blacklisted by verizon for over a month. Also you cannot get in touch with thier internet security group it is very difficult.

To date, they are the only ISP I have seen peform this type of checking.  To get around this, I added their servers that perform this check routine to my DNS/IP white listing.

DaveR View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 10:07am

Jerry, can you send me the information you have gotten from Verizon to me? I have had the very same issue, spoent hours on the phone, and never got any result from Verizon.

Specifically, if you would provide it, I need the addresses of the verification servers.

Thanks

Dave Rossi

misATandovercontrols.com

jerry View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 1:39pm

David here is the link. look at the fax number at the very bottom of the page.  I ended up faxing these every day for two weeks until they responded to me. I made it a point on the fax, to use my companies letter head with all of my contact information.  Once I got some on the phone and over 2-3 days of working with them and myself did we determine that they implemented an MTA check in late june.  here is the link to the support site.  Also, they implemented complete RFC compliance for email, if you are missing anything to do with this, they will also blacklist you.  But keep in mind, they 1st only to do this, if you have been reported to their security group, which puts your domain and IPs on a watchlist, then their auto filters check your site periodicaly for RFC compliance.  In my case it was having the recject if empty mail from.  They claim is allowed because the RFC requires it.

http://www22.verizon.com/customerSupport/contactus/contacts/

Fax: 972-615-4310

I do have a name an contact if you want it, please send along your email address.

thx

jerry

eric View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2004 at 3:02pm

think what happens if YOU also vrfy at their server with <>

then, THEY vrfy <> back on YOUR SERVER...

an so on ...

this must be done by a mayor retard.

here in the netherlands worldonline/tiscali also thinks that they are smart using vrfy,

thank god no other isp`s are as smart as they are, causing a blank sender loop.

JimMeredith View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimMeredith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2004 at 4:03pm

Unfortunately, this is an ooooold issue with Verizon... you may be interested in reading this thread on this board: http://www.logsat.com/spamfilter/forums/showmessage.asp?messageID=2665

Verizon's new motto: "Do as we say, not as we do."

DaveR View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2004 at 12:03pm
Thank You for the information.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic