Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome message

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Varzac View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Varzac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome message
    Posted: 02 September 2004 at 6:45am

How do you remove the (LogSat Software SMTP Server) from the HELO welcome?
I really do not like letting Spammers and Competitors knowing what software I run.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 1:09am

Varzac,

The part of the welcome banner is hardcoded in SpamFilter and cannot be altered.

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

Varzac View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Varzac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 5:41am

Can that be changed in the future?
I would think that would turn a lot of ISP from purchasing this software.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2004 at 8:23am

Actually yours is the first such request since SpamFilter was released almost two years ago. If we recevive more requests however it will be something we will consider implementing.

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

nippe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2004 at 1:47pm

Wy tell the bad guys how we try to stop them?

I think it is a good thing to remove the Welcome Message.

But this is just the second request.   :)

Ronny View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2004 at 10:28am
I was here searching for a way of either disabling the welcome banner or a way to fake it to look like something else.

It is normal and adviced to remove welcome banners displaying server type and version number so hackers and others doing fingerprinting on your system doesn't know what server you run, and thus make it harder for them to find exploits to use.

The way it is now it more or less displays: "Dear hacker, I am logsat spamfilter version x.xx, so look for exploits to get me on that version"

Therefore I am all for a way of either disabling it, or beeing able to create my own.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2004 at 5:55pm
Very well then, we have been convinced. This feature will be made available in one of the next builds.

Roberto F. LogSat Software
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic