Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Beta build with SPF (Sender Policy Framework) filtering available
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beta build with SPF (Sender Policy Framework) filtering available

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beta build with SPF (Sender Policy Framework) filtering available
    Posted: 07 July 2004 at 11:17pm

We've made available to registered users the pre-release of SpamFilter ISP version 2.1.0.362. This version supports many of the mechanisms used by the new emerging SPF (Sender Policy Framework - http://spf.pobox.com) open standard.

Currently the SPF filter does not support the macro language in SPF, we'll be adding that in the next few days. This filter will perform a check on the sender just prior to the MAPS RBL tests, and will block email if the SPF check returns a "fail" result. Currently "softfail" and "neutral" SPF checks will not tag the mail as spam. This behavior will be made user-selectable in the near future.

The new version is available for download in the registered user area of the website.

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

kspare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kspare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2004 at 1:45am
Just installed it, i'll let you know how it works.
Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2004 at 2:57pm

All,

Now that is is "Official", I have been testing what Roberto called "Less than Beta" for the better part of a week and it has been better than good!  There are still very few ISP's that support the SPF but there are a lot that do and I have gotten some good "hits".  It seems that the UK is fairly up on SPF and so I have many blocked Spam messages from there.  I have not yet come up with a real number of what is being block that would not have been otherwise stopped by my filters but I have a noticable reduction in spam in my own inbox.

NOTE:  Be responsible and start setting up your own domains with the spf records also so that people who are trying to forge your domain addresses get blocked by services that support it.

Another point, I used to get tons of messages CLAIMING to be from me.  No more!

Regards,

Dan S.

Fred Dickey View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Dickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2004 at 3:07pm

I just came to the forums to do a search for SPF to see if anyone has even talked about supporting it in Spamfilter and the second most recent post is about this beta.  Cool beans!  I'm working on publishing records on our domains that we host now.  One question though.  Does it require a Reverse DNS entry that points back to your domain?  Our public IP reverse DNS's back to our ISP's domain instead of our own.  I just published our own SPF record and have did a couple of test queries but either or DNS hasn't fully replicated yet or the reverse DNS is an issue.

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2004 at 3:24pm

Fred,

Unless you have the ptr directive, RDNS is not a real issue.  If you have control over your FORWARD dns zone and know what IP's are allowed to mail claiming to be from your domain, then the record is simple.  Looking at my record as an example for my "private domain", I have:

- Name=desperado.com
    Type=TXT, Class=1, TTL=3600 (1 Hour), RDLENGTH=32
    TXT=v=spf1 ip4:66.181.200.0/28 -all

This means that the only IP's that can originate mail "FROM" desperado.com are in the /28 block listed.  However, looking at my main domain (I am changing the names):

- Name=BlahBlah.com
    Type=TXT, Class=1, TTL=3600 (1 Hour), RDLENGTH=170
    TXT=v=spf1 ip4:66.181.192.0/24 ip4:216.244.114.0/27 ip4:66.181.197.0/24 ip4:66.181.202.0/24 ip4:66.181.207.0/24 ip4:24.151.9.16 ptr ptr:ipresolve.com ptr:desperado.com  -all

This DOES require that RDNS is correct as I have "ptr" directives there.

Hope this helps .. if all else fails go to http://spf.pobox.com/ or http://spftools.infinitepenguins.net/check.php for more information.

Regards,

Dan S.

Ric View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2004 at 12:35pm

Roberto -

Are there any user configurable settings for the SPF filtering, or is that layer of development still pending?

-Ric

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2004 at 12:01am

Ric,

We're currently completing the missing mechanisms in the filter, when complete we'll be adding user-settings, as enable/disable SPF and threshold levels.

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

Fred Dickey View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Dickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2004 at 10:38pm
I got it working...thanks for the info.  Looks like I was just testing a little too early and hadn't given the DNS servers enough time to replicate.  We be SPF outbound now...woohoo! :p
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic