Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blacklist ToEmails not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ktrunkett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktrunkett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blacklist ToEmails not working
    Posted: 09 May 2004 at 11:55am

Build 347

if i have an email address black listed and someone sends to a good email address and to the blacklisted email address (in that order), the bad email address is not filtered .

Kriss

JimMeredith View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimMeredith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2004 at 11:22am

Kris,

Is the "good email address," or anything having to do with it -- the domain it's in, the IP address it's coming from, etc. -- listed in any of your whitelists (other than the Allowed Domains whitelist)?  Also... are you using the "Keywords Whitelist" and if so, does the inbound message contain any of the keywords included in this list?

Basically what I'm asking is whether you have a whitelist exception of some sort that might be allowing the message to go through.  SpamFilter processes almost all of the whitelists FIRST (before the blacklists) and if a whitelist match is made, then the mail is accepted with no further conditions (and none of the blacklists) checked.

One way to verify whether this is happening would be to look on your SpamFilter log screen (or the log file) and see if you see "bypassed all rules for..." logged in association with that message.  This "bypassed all rules for..." message is an indication that a whitelist match was made, and SpamFilter is accepting the message without further tests.

Jim

dcook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dcook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2004 at 11:26am

Providing your filters look alright ... you may want to check for leading or trailing spaces on your white and black lists.  The lists are literal, leading and trailing spaces affect the operation.  I had this problem and Roberto shed the light on the filter lists.

Dwight

bpogue99 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpogue99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2004 at 1:59pm

If I understand correctly you are saying that you have a good email address and a bad email address on the TO line of the same email message. Yes, if any of the email addresses on the TO line are valid, the email gets delivered. This is because, from what I've seen, the email is not "rebuilt", it is delivered "as-is" and if one address is whitelisted it gets delivered to the destination SMTP server which in turn delivers it to everyone on the TO line.

bill

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic