Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black list/white list question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fabravo View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fabravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black list/white list question
    Posted: 28 April 2004 at 10:26am
We are in the process of closing down one of our sites (:<) and want to reject all e- mail except for a couple of addresses of people who will be either staying on or we have offered to give e-mail access to. I wanted to know if the following would work:

- In the Black List 'TO Emails', I would put '*@domain.com'. - In the White List 'Unfiltered Emails', I would put the e-mail addresses I want to still get through, i.e. 'webmaster@domain.com'

Would that sucessfully, in the example above, allow all mail to 'webmaster@domain.com' to come through unfiltered, but reject everything else to this domain?

I realize that 'webmaster@domain.com' will now be totally unfiltered, but that is the way it goes.

Is there a better way to do this or is this the best?

Thanks in advance for any help!

\frank
JimMeredith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimMeredith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2004 at 1:29pm

Your "whitelist" idea for the one or two allowed email addresses will work just fine.  SpamFilter checks all whitelists first.  A message that matches on ANY whitelist condition will be immediately accepted without checking any further conditions.

As for blocking all other messages addressed to that domain, there are at least two ways of accomplishing this.  The simplest (and fastest, since this is the first "blacklist" that SpamFilter checks) would be to simply remove that domain from the list of Allowed Domains.  The method you mentioned in your post would also work, but it does require slightly more processing on the part of SpamFilter, since the "local emails TO blacklist" is the fourth blacklist filter that is checked.  (See http://www.logsat.com/spamfilter/forums/showmessage.asp?messageID=2720 for an outline on how SpamFilter checks the blacklists.) 

If you run a fairly low volume mail system, it really doesn't matter, either method should work.  If you're processing 10,000+ messages per hour, then using the Allowed Domains for this filtering instead of the Local Email TO blacklist could make a significant difference in processing requirements.

Ric Marques View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ric Marques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2004 at 2:16pm

Frank -

Call or email me if you have anything you're needing to sell off... we might be interested!

Ric Marques
News & Review

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic