Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - bug, regex error or clever email sender address?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bug, regex error or clever email sender address?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ronny T View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronny T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bug, regex error or clever email sender address?
    Posted: 02 April 2004 at 4:28am

04.02.04 11:21:33:361 -- (2484) String matching error for (emailSenderApp+1IPIM4U31S4W3-2T3J2GDFUIM5L-25CJOYEOL8CT5@bounces.amazon.com --and-- ([d+]([-a-za-z0-9_.+])+(@hotmail|@juno|@yahoo).com)) : TRegExpr(exec): Loop Stack Exceeded

---------

This is a copy from the activity log as I saw some messages passing the filter by

giving spamfilter a stack error...

Can anyone see what went wrong with this one?

(using version 2.0.1.315 registered)

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2004 at 3:40pm

Actually,  This is my RegEx and nothing "oficially" went wrong.  The address is so long that the SpamFilter RegEx Parser reached a hard coded limit and the error you get is as you see.  This is a non critical error that Roberto can explain MUCH better than I can but it does not cause any issues.  The SpamFilter just goes on to the next filter from there.

This RegEx, in my system, catches a bunch and barfs on a bunch like you have seen but it still does reduce the spam so I have learned to ignore those errors.

Dan S.

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2004 at 3:44pm

Oh!  And I stand corrected ... this is a little changed from the RegEx I uses but the answer is still the same.  Mine is as folloes:

(\b[\d+]+([\-a-za-z0-9_\.\+])+(@hotmail|@juno)\.com)

VERY similar so I think the Loop Stack issue applies to yours also.

Regards

Dan S.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2004 at 12:36am

Ronny T,

Dan is absolutely correct in his statement. Some RegEx expressions require a string to be parsed several times with recursive loops in order to match all searches. If the "recursivity" functions are very "deep", meaning a recursive function calls itself, which then calls itself, and calls itself again, and again etc, this could cause some Windows stack overflows and bring the server to its knees (especially if several incoming emails are processed concurrently). In order to avoid this, we've placed a hardcoded limit in how many levels deep a recursive function can go. When the limit is reached a "soft error" breaks the loop and halts the search for that particular string. This is totally harmless, and will not cause any other errors, but will usually cause the particular searh string to be ignored.

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic