Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please .. What is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please .. What is this?
    Posted: 15 March 2004 at 7:41pm

Does anybody know what purpose the crap like the following at the end of a message is supposed to accomplish?

</body>
<p>aiopbmbrvufs sjbccockkxm jjsudwamxa fsejfzxqgg</p>
<p>Iv6umUzOfqW</p>
<p>tbparmchotyiod nsbxiqcvwq</p>
</html>

I have asked this before and never got any answers.  And ... does anybody know how many consonants in a row is the max in the English Language?  Perhaps that is a good "Trivial Pursuit" question?  It is just plain irritating!  It isn't even hidden.  Just showes up at the end of a message. I must be dense (or just losing my edge) because I just don't get it and I am usually pretty good at this.

Dan S.

LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2004 at 10:45pm

It's meant to fool some of the statistical tools used by anti-spam software. It's random text, meaning that it's definetly not similar to any spam words that can have been collected before, so it could help in lowering the spam score.SpamFilter assigns new, non-exitsing tokens a neutral value, so wether they're there or not doesn't make a difference.

You'll also see some emails coming in with real sentences, apparently written by some lunatic. THose are worse since they are "real" words, usually innocent, having pre-existing "good" scores. These will be more likely to pass the filters, but then they will make less sense to the potential reader, which is going to be more likely to ignore the email...

Roberto F.
LogSat Software

Desperado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2004 at 11:26pm

I actually had one that had the 10 commandments written out ... in white text on a white background.

Dan S.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic