Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whats your favorit keyword ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Allan View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats your favorit keyword ?
    Posted: 14 November 2003 at 4:52am

I am looking for good keyword's to enhance my Spamfilter. I know this subject has been discussed several times before - but things change and so do SPAM. So, I give give you my 2 top keywords and hope you will post yours.

heres mine: herbal9 and pillsdocz

Thanks in advance. / Allan

JimMeredith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimMeredith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2003 at 2:34pm

Allan,

As you've noticed, people are starting to get a little hesitant to post their keywords and RegEx on this forum.  Something gets posted, and then mysteriously, it's suddenly not as effective as it used to be.

In fact, I posted three of my keywords in a message about 2 months ago, just as an example to get across a point I was making.  Since then, all three of these keywords have become useless at stopping spam.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  But it's also reasonable to believe that spammers are spending more time on this forum than actual SpamFilter ISP customers.  Except for a very few people, most SpamFilter ISP customers only come here when they need help with a support issue (it is after all a "support forum").  Spammers, on the other hand, may come here more often to learn how they can get their spam through SpamFilter and other similar products.  I'd bet that SpamFilter ISP is sitting on a PC in some spammer's back room right now, being used to "test" messages to see if they would be caught by any of the keywords or RegEx that has been posted here in prior months.

Besides, even if none of this is true, many of today's keywords will be of little benefit a month from now.  The battle against spam is much like the efforts to secure a network -- it's a journey, not a destination.  As long as you see it this way, and devote a small amount of time to tweaking the keywords and other filters provided in SpamFilter, adjusting them to match the spam that's getting through, you'll enjoy a consistently good spam block rate.  The alternative is to buy a filtering solution that costs $WAYTOOMUCH per seat and overpay someone else to do the tweaking for you.  Personally, I'll be sticking with SpamFilter.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic