Spam Filter ISP Support Forum

  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem with queing email (v.1.1.2.124 or later)?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with queing email (v.1.1.2.124 or later)?

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeff View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with queing email (v.1.1.2.124 or later)?
    Posted: 17 July 2003 at 12:07pm

I just noticed we are still running Spam Filter v.1.1.2.124 so this problem might have been resolved
in v.1.2.0.178 which I am installing now, but just incase it hasn't been addressed.

Basicly our set up is that Spam Filter receives the intial email for SPAM filtering, it then passes it on to
Mcafee Webshield SMTP for a virus scan, which then passes the email to the email server.  The problem
that seems to have cropped up is when Mcafee reached its threshold on free disk space (50Mb) to
receive email and put a hold on processing email.  This seems to have triggered an eror-email (possibly
to Error Handler Email="System Administrator" <admin@abcex.com>).  The Net effect is the email was
lost with out getting properly queed, an there was no an error message returned to the sender.

07/16/03 00:14:46:734 -- (254) Connection from: 111.111.111.111  -  Originating country : United States
07/16/03 00:14:47:453 -- (254) Resolving 111.111.111.111 - be.defex.com
07/16/03 00:14:47:453 -- (254) Bypassed all rules for: admin@abcex.com from be@be.defex.com
07/16/03 00:14:47:781 -- (254) EMail from be@be.defex.com to admin@abcex.com was queued. Size: 3 KB
07/16/03 00:14:47:781 -- (369) Sending email from be@be.def.excom to admin@abcex.com
07/16/03 00:14:47:890 -- (254) Disconnect
07/16/03 00:14:47:906 -- (369) EMail from: be@be.defex.com to: admin@abcex.com  was returned to sender - server error - Service currently unavailable
07/16/03 00:14:48:031 -- (369) Error-email from be@be.defex.com to admin@abcex.com  was forwarded to 222.222.222.222
07/16/03 00:14:58:218 -- Exception occurred during TimerMinuteTimer: Invalid pointer operation

Back to Top
Desperado View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 27 January 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 1143
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 2:31pm

Jeff,

 

I am going to let LogSat support answer this one but, I run almost exactly as you do and I have to say that, in my experience, "all bets are off" when you get that low on drive space.  I can't even inagine running with out at least 1-2 GIG of free work space.  SpamFilter as well as WebShield both "build" the inbound message on disk.  One 15-20 meg message and you are toast.  I have seen up to 300meg of temp storage used by WebShield and that was just when I happened to be looking at it.

I just took a "snapshot" of my BACKUP server and Sendmail is using 131MB of temp space, WebShield, 21MB and SpamFilter is a 1KB ... nothing really queing at the moment. However, I am using 20 times that for my log files.  I think your first priority should be to try to get MUCH more dirve space .... unless I read you message wrong.

Regards,

Dan S.

 

Back to Top
LogSat View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 25 January 2005
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 4068
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogSat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 3:03pm

Jeff,

The new build .178 fixes sevaral Access Violation and Invalid Pointer errors that were occurring. At first sight it does not seem that the Exception you received is related to Webshield maxing out, it appears to be more related the the general Exceptions that were fixed with .178.

If you update and still experience similar problems please do let us know so we can do further investigations.

Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software

Back to Top
Jeff View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 3:17pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the response.  In our case it was an unrelated log file that was about to fill up one drive, and possibly old reg setting of Mcafee mistakenly monitoring that same drive since it had bee reinstalled to a second drive that had over 2GBs free.  Both of those two problems have been corrected to prevent a reoccurance under those conditions in the future, but we still ended up with several Invalid pointer operation(s) that looks like the messages where lost.

Back to Top
Jeff View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 4:16pm
Hello Reberto,
         Hopefully this particular problem won't occur again, at least
under these conditions and
a the new .178 build.  It was probably just a coincidence then that the
drive filled up about the
same time.  We have only been running the filter for about 2 months so
don't have a lot of history
to go by, but after reviewing the logs the errors didn't start cropping up
until 7/15/03 at about
8am, they appeared intermittent during the day then what seemed to be a
total shutdown a just
before midnight where no mail was getting through or bounced.
Thanks,
Jeff
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.