Print Page | Close Window

Just installed day 1 Questions.

Printed From: LogSat Software
Category: Spam Filter ISP
Forum Name: Spam Filter ISP Support
Forum Description: General support for Spam Filter ISP
URL: http://www.logsat.com/spamfilter/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=6469
Printed Date: 15 December 2017 at 8:39pm


Topic: Just installed day 1 Questions.
Posted By: AndrewD
Subject: Just installed day 1 Questions.
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 4:35am
Hi Guys,
I have just installed a trial version of Spam filter on a perimeter server. and all looks good. will continue to run GFI on the exchange but am hoping to lose the load if all goes good. Just looking for some advise.
 
our setup
Hosting multiple domains on an Exchange 2003 server.
Have installed on spam filter on a second server and directed all incoming port 25 to it then it is pushing them to the exchange server.
 
Question 1
The exchange server also hosts IIS and i would like to utilize the feature that allows users to release quarantined items. So is it better to put the spam fileter on the IIS machine, or can i change the default port for the users from 80  to say 81 (redirect this port to spam machine)?
 
Question 2
once i decide to purchase (am feeling confident) i understand the licencing is per server. Can i move the service from the perimeter machine to the exchange server and transfer the licence?
 
Question 3
in the Quarantine tab i can see the messages that have been quarantined (doh) but is there a way to see a list of the forwarded emails?
 
Cheers
Thanks for any input.
Andy



Replies:
Posted By: LogSat
Date Posted: 03 May 2008 at 9:32am
Originally posted by AndrewD AndrewD wrote:

Question 1
The exchange server also hosts IIS and i would like to utilize the feature that allows users to release quarantined items. So is it better to put the spam fileter on the IIS machine, or can i change the default port for the users from 80  to say 81 (redirect this port to spam machine)?

SpamFilter stores the quarantined emails in a database. We support Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle and Microsoft Access (Access is recommended only for low traffic testing, not  for live production installs). The database can be installed on the same server running SpamFilter or on a separate server. The same applies for your IIS server - the web pages are able to connect to a database that is either local to your webserver or is installed on a separate server. You can thus install SpamFilter, IIS, and the database on any server(s) you wish!

Originally posted by AndrewD AndrewD wrote:


Question 2
once i decide to purchase (am feeling confident) i understand the licencing is per server. Can i move the service from the perimeter machine to the exchange server and transfer the licence?

Absolutely yes. For the "move", it's as simple as copying the "SpamFilter" directory from one server to the other, if you keep the same folder structure. No registry changes, no reinstall, no files scattered throughout your entire hard disk....
 
Originally posted by AndrewD AndrewD wrote:


Question 3
in the Quarantine tab i can see the messages that have been quarantined (doh) but is there a way to see a list of the forwarded emails?

Not out-of-the-box. SpamFilter does log all that information in the activity logfiles however, and third-party log analyzers are able to provide a wealth of information about anything SpamFilter does. Please see this post ( http://www.logsat.com/SpamFilter/Forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=6467 - www.logsat.com/SpamFilter/Forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=6467 ) that has a link to a sample report for Sawmill (www.sawmill.net)



-------------
Roberto Franceschetti

http://www.logsat.com" rel="nofollow - LogSat Software

http://www.logsat.com/sfi-spam-filter.asp" rel="nofollow - Spam Filter ISP



Print Page | Close Window